Thursday, March 12, 2009

The girls bedroom makeover!
(on a budget)

Pearl's dresser, with Sunny the fish. The yellow dressers are part of Rose's nursery furniture and were a gift from Mike's childhood Sunday School teachers, aka adopted parents. Although the crib matches the dresser I wanted to use them in the big girl's room and will get another dresser for the baby's room.
I love this dollhouse bookshelf. I had wanted one so bad when Rose was little. One day I walked into Big Lots and saw this bookshelf for $10 or $15 (can't remember exact price). It was just missing the dividers that made the bottom shelves into two spaces so it would look more like a house, but not essential for support.

The girls wanted to pose for these "sister" pictures as they called them.

More cute sister pics.

Rosey in her lavender room.

Pearl wanted me to take some pictures of her.

Pearl's name hangs over her bed. She broke the "L". I glued it back together.

The purse and necklace rack, we've had for awhile.
I got it at TJ Maxx for $5.

Rose's dresser with some of my porcelain dolls from when I was a girl.
I need a lamp shade. The other one melted last week. I really want to make a shade with lavender silk roses on it. I saw one at PB kids but it was like $50 for the shade.

The "R" and the "P" hanging above the bookshelf were painted by the girls.
I cut out some contact paper in the shape of their initial and suick it on white paper. The girls then painted the paper with watercolors. When it was dry I removed the contact paper and their initial stays white. The frames were only 1.99 each at Ikea. They were light colored wood so I let the girls paint them white. Not only did they enjoy being part of decorating their room it was a cheap project and turned out cute.


I got these letters a few months ago at Joann's for $1 a letter. I was glad they have short names. The fairy wall stickers (from Dollar Tree) are not something I really wanted to hang on the wall. Rose wanted something hanging above her bed that Daddy could tell her stories about at bedtime. Before we painted we had some very cute fairytale character wall stickers that Mike had made up many tales about. Dollar tree no longer had these stickers so I went with the fairies. I am getting used to them now.
I got these rose duvet covers at The Pottery Barn Kids Outlet. Rose's is a double and was only $12 and Pearl's is a twin and it was $10. Considering the original price was about $70 and $60 each I was proud of my bargain.

My little faker is not really sleeping but this is what she looks like when she is sleeping.

My snuggle bunny.
I still need to get some curtains (and a shade) but over all I am excited that their room is done and cute. I also have some purple rose photos that I took. (My Valentine flowers came in handy.) I need to print the photos and hang them on the wall by Pearl's bed. The girls like their "new" room and I do to since it is not to Disney princessy but still girly enough.
Next up picking a paint color for the baby's room.


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so proud of my talented daughter. What a great job and the price was right! The girls in the beds go perfectly with the room. Love you, mom

Dawn said...

They are so beautiful! So is the room. Good job thrifty friend!

Valerie @ Inner Child Fun said...

Frugal and fabulous!! I love it!

Valerie

Debra said...

Rachel...I love their room. Thanks for posting pics and keeping us a part of their world. I can't wait to see the nursery! We are not even working on another room yet. I need to call you. I got your message. I was sick that week and then Anna was sick last week. I think we are nearing the end. Keep posting pics of what all you all are doing. You are great mom and they will cherish the time you take to make their days fun and interesting! We miss you all! hugs and kisses. ~Debra