Monday, August 18, 2008

I say tomato...
The other day I found this article on the front page of the Philadelphia Enquirer talking about how bad this year has been for growing tomatoes.

I found it very interesting because we have no experience gardening and have more tomatoes then we know what to do with. Pearl prefers to eat them as she picks them.

We have been picking at least this many tomatoes every other day.

Our neighbors with the perfect garden right beside our garden have very few tomatoes.

We have been enjoying tomatoes with fresh mozzarella and balsamic vinegar, BLT sandwiches, homemade tomato sauce and I even sundried (in the oven;) some tomatoes for the winter. As for the rest of the tomatoes we give lots away to neighbors and Mike's coworkers and I still have some rotting in my kitchen and out on the vines. I know I need to make more sauce and freeze it that is next on my list. Wish you were closer I would share some with you.

10 comments:

Dawn said...

oh man! I love that mozzarella and tomatoe stuff. Good job!

Dawn said...

oops I mean tomato

Emmy said...

I wish we were closer, too! The Lendas Bed and Breakfast now serving lunch and dinner! Sign me up!

Jennie said...

mmm... yummy!

Amy Ross said...

I love it! Our crop isn't near as large..however, we are enjoying a good bit. My mouth has sores from all the acid in the tomatoes! Great job! I love the pictures!

boltefamily said...

I also have a million tomatoes. Can you tell me how to do the sundried thing?

BJ Riley said...

Man am i hungry now. Wish we were closer too! That's so awesome! what an inspiration! Go girl!

Emmy said...

PS... the neighbor with the perfect garden and no tomatoes... wasn't that the same one that tended your garden while you were away and told you that you needed to get rid of the weeds or something? i guess a bitter spirit crushed her tomatoes! ha ha!

Cathy Cooke said...

We have a gazillion tomatoes too, Rach! We have been eating them at every meal! I even had a sliced tomato with my egg sandwich for breakfast! Love it!

Emilie said...

my mouth is watering. I remember discussing your neighbor's perfect garden vs. yours in December. I wish I lived closer so I could take some of that yummy-ness off your hands. :-)