Friday, June 27, 2008

Guess what we are having for dinner? Mike is away and Pearl has been sick so I didn't get around to checking on the garden yesterday and was shocked to see the two small zucchini I noticed on Wednesday had grown into six humongous zucchini.




Right after I took this picture she dropped all of the zucchini!


Our garden is a far cry from our neighbors very neat organized garden in the background. They don't have a weed in their garden and our vegetables truly appear as if they are just planted among the grass. Our friends down the street watered our garden when we were in Nashville. When we got back she mentioned the out of control weeds/grass. I said yeah we can't keep up with it. She told me that before we planted a garden we need to rototill (sp). Um yeah, duh, we did rototill the soil. I guess the weeds just love growing in the nice fertilized regularly watered soil.

The extremely large, what are we gonna do with all these, zucchini patch! They are as tall as Pearl and the leaves are larger then my head. We started them from seed inside our house. The girls really enjoyed watching the seeds sprout and then transplanting them to the garden. I think it is a very fun way to teach them about plants and that vegetables do not just appear in the grocery store. It is also a great way to get them to try new veggies. The girls are currently in the kitchen enjoying raw zucchini dipped in ranch. I have been teasing Mike that I am going to make some apple pie from zucchini. I found the recipe (on allrecipes.com) for a zucchini pie that supposedly resembles apple pie. So I think I am really going to try it. I will let you know what Mike and the girls thought of it.

4 comments:

Emilie said...

that is so great - can't wait to hear about your "apple" pie. . .

Dawn said...

Do zucchini bread. That's my absolute favorite! You can make chocolate chip zucchini bread too. Freeze it for later. I'm sure there is a recipe on allrecipes.com

I'm jealous!

Amy Ross said...

Wow...what are you feeding your garden??? We were late in starting one this year... but hope come July/Aug we'll have something to show from it. I am impressed!

Karen said...

I actually have a really yummy recipe for a zucchini pie with a crescent roll crust. It's makes a delicious dinner... and James actually likes it, too! (Matt doesn't care for it because it doesn't have MEAT in it, but it is really tasty!) If you want it, email me at mkc1221@bellsouth.net and I'll give it to you! =o)

Karen Cochrane