BOB BOOKS

There are five sets total and each set has numerous books, the first set actually has twelve books that get progressively more difficult.
(VIDEO COMING SOON, NOT DOWNLOADING AT THIS POINT)Here is Rose reading the first Bob book. She actually messes up on one page and reads the words in the wrong order. I could have re-recorded it but actually felt like her error shows that she is reading the words and does not just have the book memorized.
Rose also wanted to help write the shopping list when daddy went grocery shopping Saturday. No she does not know how to spell these words but we just help her sound it out and she does pretty well. I never planned on teaching my three and a half year old to read or write but it is something she really enjoys. I just provide her with the tools but certainly do not ever push her to learn as I really do not think there is a whole lot of value in learning these skills sooner then later. There are a lot more important things I would rather have her learn at this age, like being kind to her sister and to stop playing if she needs to go potty and to obey adults the first time they ask her to do something etc. However I will not hold her back from learning to read and spell at an early age if that is her desire. I do not think all kids should be pushed into learning to read when they are not ready as they will not enjoy it and it may affect their attitude toward learning as they get older. Learning should be FUN!

2 comments:
That is amazing and puts me to shame! I need to work with Georgia (and Jude) more and will look into getting those Bob books :)
I've been looking at the BOB books for months now. But hadn't bought them yet. I will have to get them. Theo would be really into them. He's reading books with easy words now!
Post a Comment