Thursday, February 28, 2008


You are my Sunshine my only Sunshine... Please don't flush my Sunshine away...
About two weeks ago we finally bought Rose a long overdue reward for being potty trained. (She has been potty trained for awhile, however due to many, many UTI she has had a few setbacks.) We had been promising her a pet. Not a furry pet just a little fish, that she named Sunny. He is orange (although Rose prefers to call him dark yellow)with a Mickey Shaped marking on his body. About two days after we got him Rose was upstairs "getting dressed" and it seemed to be taking a long time. This is actually quite common as Rose often gets distracted and ends playing with her toys in her room at some point in her getting dressed process. I usually don't worry about what she is up to as long as we are not in a hurry to go somewhere. Suddenly I hear her say something about her fish and I knew immediately this may not be good. My mom was visiting and I was in the middle of cooking breakfast so I sent her up to check on Rose. She discovered Rose with an empty soap bottle. Rose told my mom that she was worried that I had put cold water in the fish tank and so she added some hot water so her fish would not get cold. She had dumped the foaming hand soap out and used the bottle to fill the fish tank. I emptied about two thirds of the water as it did not really look very sudsy. Well everything seemed fine until yesterday. Pearl asked to see "fishy" and I could not find him in the tank. I finally saw him sideways at the bottom of the tank. When I told Rose I thought he was dead she really started to cry. Mike was of course out of town. I realized not only did I have to deal with Rose's disappointment but I had to dispose of Sunny. I quickly recalled being at a friends house a few years ago when he noticed his son's fish was half-dead. He put the not yet dead fish in his garbage disposal and turned it on. UGH! I couldn't believe it. I did not take that route, but went for the tried and true method, the flush. When Rose talked to Mike about her fish she told him he fed it to much and that is why it died. I think the hot sudsy bath he had may have contributed. Rose and her daddy will be going fish shopping again this weekend. Rose has already informed me that her new fish's name will also be Sunny.

2 comments:

Dawn said...

Aw Poor Rosie! We just gave Guinea to some friends at church. They have another one and she will get lots of attention!

Love you.

BJ Riley said...

this is hilarious! "daddy,its' ur fault!" garbage disposal? i think only a man would take that route! what a random thought. thanks for the laugh! i can see dres just feeding the fish the soap!