THE APPLE BUTTER FROLICThis weekend we attended the Apple Butter Frolic. It is an old fashioned "fair" of sorts sponsored by the Mennonite Churches in the area. I attended this several times as a child and was excited to take Mike and the girls to it. My mom is also visiting so she enjoyed the beautiful (warm) fall day with us.
Rose playing in the corn bin.
The girl's loved watching the man make apple cider with an old fashioned press.
Violet all tuckered out!
Pearl and Rose got to "help" make the cider.
Violet hanging out with Mimere!
Mike and Pearl on the Hayride. The farmer, Mr. Mack, giving hayrides happened to be an old friend of ours when my family lived in Pennsylvania. We hadn't seen him in twenty years.
Rachel, Rose and Violet on the hayride. I often tell Rose stories of when I was a little girl and would help collect eggs at Mr. Mack's farm. After the hayride Mr. Mack invited us up to his farm and we are looking forward to going on Sunday, Rose's birthday, while my brother is in town.
The girls practicing their handwriting in an old fashioned school. Pearl is getting pretty good at writing the letter "P".
Isn't this quilt beautiful. I wish I could quilt like that.
Making corn husk dolls.
The hay maze, was one of my favorite childhood memories of the Apple Butter Frolic.
The food was delicious, well most of it. On the left is Scrapple (think scraps/sausage). It was served wet (not fried up) on bread over apple butter with horseradish on top. Mike said it was an interesting array of flavors but did not eat to much. I stuck with the yummy pork sandwich. I wish I had taken a picture of the desserts, Shoe-fly Pie, Gooseberry Pie, Pitted Cherry pie, Rhubarb Pie, Appledumplings and homemade blackberry ice cream.

2 comments:
That looks like a ton of fun!
I love the family picture at the end, and I LOVE your sling! I've never worn one before, but am contemplating getting one with this baby--do you like yours?
Post a Comment